Mortal Fear of Pitch Raising?

Phil Bondi tito@PhilBondi.com
Fri, 11 Jan 2002 06:50:02 -0500

Tom Sivak - Robert Wilson:

I have yet to run across anyone who has a pre-1920 instrument that 'needs'
to have it at 440. 435 and 437 are very common with me with these
instruments..not for fear of breaking wire, but as a standard for setting
the pitch to where it was 'probably' designed' for, and that 'probably' is
what brings on some of the discussions here.

In a case of having to bring the pitch way up, I will use the highest
single-wound wire as my test note..lets say A1 is the last single-wound
wire. Using the Accu-fork or the SAT(usually the SAT because I use it for
pitch raises), set A4 at -20 and re-set. Set the SAT to A1 and tune A1. Then
what I'll do is re-set the SAT, A4  for -12 and re-tune A1 at the new
setting. Whichever one sounds best to me is the setting I go with..sometimes
it doesn't sound like a big difference between 435 and 437 down
there..sometimes a partial will hit me at one frequency that wasn't present
at the other..that's usually the frequency I will set the instrument at.

It seems like alot of work to set pitch, but it only takes a couple of
minutes to test and decide.

Why do I use the last single-wound wire as a test?
I have no idea.

Phil