Sound waves(The behavior of soundboards)

Fri, 11 Jan 2002 12:45:55 +0100

Ron Nossaman wrote:

> >> RB:
> >> This 2 dimensional perspective of the whole scale can be used feasibly as
> >> part of an alternative way of designing a scale.  This thought is presented
> >> in Benades book. The gist is that such a plane then would interact with the
> >> sound board modes in such a way that the problems relating to resonance
> >> modes of the sound board can be manipulated to some degree.
> >

> > It's interesting in theory. Can it be done with an existing board when you
> > are working with all the unknowns inherent there? And could you expect better
> > results than more standard approaches to rescaling? Something realistically
> > equivalent can be and is done with a redesign of rib scales, with
> > considerably better results than string scaling alone produce.

You should buy the book and read it for yourself. My explanations of what I think I
am reading are naturally going to be less effective then getting the information
first hand. In any case from what I think I know of you, Benade's book would be one
you would enjoy reading.

> >> There we have that "pump" like picture presented again, even a "motion
> >> absorption" picture. The bridge then is loosely compared to a shock absorber
> >> this link you provide... and shock absorbers deal very very much in
> >> compression waves.... or what ?
> >>

> > They deal very much in controlling gross movement between two objects in a
> > direction parallel to their travel. That's what.

Yea, I suppose they do that as well.

> > Yes, it is a pretty neat site. Now if I only spoke math.

Grin... Math yes... I keep telling myself I am going back to school.  Its just
right up the hill from where I live...  5 minutes walk.... Math would be a cool
language to be able to converse in.... especially for this kind of discussion.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.