DC

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Fri, 11 Jan 2002 09:21:20 -0500

Hi Phil. Hope you don't mind going public on this. I have a question for the
group at the end.

The potential need for more than 50W in a vertical is based on my own
experiments and observations. I had a 1098 that I installed one rod in. The
humidistat was cycling on and off around 50% RH. During periods of high
humidity (about 80% RH in the home), the DC did not turn off (I kept an
old-style electric clock with hands plugged into the humidistat also) and
the RH would not drop below about 60% to 65% RH (temp in room was 80 and
temp in piano was about 92F). Installed second rod and RH went down to 50%
and was maintained there. You just simply need enough wattage to make the
unit cycle off once in a while when the room is near the maximum RH commonly
encountered.

I think that one rod in a vertical in the typical air-conditioned Florida
home would be adequate. If they like to open windows and whatnot, two may be
needed to keep the RH in the piano down to targeted levels (or at least the
level which causes the humidistat to turn off at - I haven't observed even
one to make it down to 42% RH).

I wonder what the failure rate of the DC H2 Humidistat is. There are others,
like me, that advocate pumping up the wattage until the system turns off.
The only downfall to this practice is the potential for a humidistat to fail
and the unit stays on for a few years until the soundboard pops out. Anyone
have any info on this?

Terry Farrell