How many piano tuners are there in Madison (was Chicago)?

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Fri, 11 Jan 2002 10:00:25 EST

In a message dated 1/11/02 8:12:58 AM Central Standard Time, Wimblees@AOL.COM
writes:

> I don't know how it is in Madison

Madison is unique.  It is the capital city and also the home of the
University of Wisconsin.  The greater metropolitan area is only about 1/4
million yet there are 4 piano dealers!   All but one have been in business
for decades but the up and coming one who hasn't reached the 20 year mark yet
has shown the strongest growth.

In the phone book, there are 17 listings but one of those are from Milwaukee,
80 miles away.  One is a very old player piano man who does very little any
more.  Only about 10 are full time, the rest earn their livings in other ways
and supplement their income by piano tuning.  There are 2 university techs
who are not listed and I know of a few part time people who are also not
listed.  Only one full time tech is not listed who is self employed and not
at the university.

The PTG directory lists 22 for the Madison Chapter but several of those live
in other small towns that would not be considered Madison suburbs.  I've
lived here a little more than 25 years and there have always been about 25
known piano techs.  If you consider that 20% of homes have pianos, there
would be 50,000 pianos.  The figure may well be higher here and yes, there
are lots of pianos in churches, schools and other places.

But let's keep the figure 50,000 divided by 25 techs.  That provides each
with a potential of 2,000 which is enough for a full time business.
Realistically however, there seems to be only enough business for about 10
full timers.  There are times when the demand is very high but during the dog
days of summer, there is not enough work for everyone.

Years ago, there used to be a few days in the summer when there was just no
work and I took those as vacation days.  But for the past 10 years, I've had
to make room in my schedule if I wanted to take any time off.

These studies always seem to assume that the "average" tech services 20
pianos per week which I always do at a minimum but not very many people can
handle that many tunings every week consistently.  During the Christmas rush,
I was doing 30 and I spent New Year's Day on the sofa with a terrible
backache!  I have to have monthly visits to the Chiropractor and do special
exercises just to be able to endure the physical strain and stress of that
many tunings.  If you have followed what I write about, you'll know as well
that I almost never tune any pianos with one pass.  That means that I do 8
tunings a day as my typical *minimum* and during busy periods, up to 12 and
sometimes one or two more for those pianos I give 3 passes to.

My usual time for a 2 pass tuning is 30-45 minutes.  I can easily raise the
pitch of a piano 20-50 cents in 3 passes in one hour.  You'd better believe I
wear ear plugs.  I can't stand to work without them.  For those who are
trying to increase their speed, just keep at it.  It takes several years at a
minimum to get up to that kind of speed.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin