square grand

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Fri, 11 Jan 2002 10:11:48 EST

In a message dated 1/11/02 8:07:22 AM Central Standard Time,
sheisstunning@earthlink.net (sarah reynolds)
 writes:

> hi, i hope you can help me.
> i have a square grand, probably circa 1880 - 1910, mahogany, with an
> elaborately carved harp, a full 88 keys and substantially carved legs,
> ending in lion's feet.
> it is labelled either
> "Hallet Davis & Co.
> Boston
> Square Grand"
> or
> "Ballet Davis & Co.
> Boston
> Square Grand"
> have you any idea what i've got and what to price it as since i'd like to
> sell it and get something more accomodating?
> thanks for your help!
> sarah reynolds

Just yesterday, I had to appraise an old Chickering square grand.  I regret
to say that I put on the appraisal form: "No market value".  Now, yours may
be in better shape and have some market value but usually less than $1,000
unless fully restored or in very unusually good condition.  Even then, a few
thousand at best.

It is a shame because some of these were really beautiful but they are truly
the "white elephant" of the piano business.  Those in good shape are best
placed in homes or businesses where other artifacts of past centuries are on
display more for looking at than anything else.  I'd never recommend one as a
primary instrument or for someone to learn on.

The name of your piano is definitely "Hallet Davis", a well known name.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin