How many piano tuners are there in Chicago?

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Fri, 11 Jan 2002 10:18:50 EST

In a message dated 1/11/02 8:10:25 AM Central Standard Time,
markmilo@znet.com (Mickey Kessler) writes:

> I have a sort of corollary question, having nothing much to do with Fermi's
> original notion, but something to do with the number of tuners in
> metropolitan areas.
>
> Are there more techs than tuning work in most metropolitan areas in the US,
> or is there a shortage of tuners?   Is any part of the country more likely
> to be hurting for techs than any other?  Any area  overrun with techs?
>
> And another corollary: how many out there on the list make their living
> solely from tuning and repair?  Do most of you have other jobs as well
> (teaching or selling instruments or whatever)?  Do those of you who rebuild
> make more from rebuilding than from tuning?  (I teach college part-time and
> look to piano work to help subsidize a precarious income as adjunct
> faculty.  I also do it because I love it.)
>
> Does PTG publish any stats or demographics on these issues?

Yes, PTG has.  I have seen surveys and the results published although I do
not have them at hand.  From what I remember, only a minority work as Piano
Technicians who primarily service pianos on site and do not rebuild or do
some other kind of work and yet make substantial incomes (over $50,000
annually).

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin