Kimball leaves piano business

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Fri, 11 Jan 2002 10:44:02 EST

List,

On this subject that was in the news yesterday, I also made an observation.
As much as Kimball was the piano so many people "loved to hate", it could
still be said that they built one of the finest, most expensive and rarest
pianos in the world.  Now that is history too.

Yesterday, when I was in a church office, I saw some filing cabinets with the
name "Kimball" on them and smaller letters saying "office furniture".  It
didn't look like wood to me so I went up to them to see for sure.  They were
made of thin sheet metal.

When Kimball quit the American piano business in 1996, it could still boast
about Bosendorfer and its sturdy laminated wood products.  I remember back in
the early 1980's that Kimball owned its own forests for harvesting wood.  Now
it appears that the company has changed its focus entirely.  It's stock has
remained at a moderately good value, peaking at $25 per share and dipping
only briefly to $10 over the last 10 years.  Currently it trades for about
$15.

Baldwin, on the other hand, traded for between $12 and $15 per share for
years and peaked at $18 but today is worth only 1/10 of one cent per share.

Food for thought.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin