tuning speed

Jason Kanter jkanter@rollingball.com
Fri, 11 Jan 2002 07:45:20 -0800

Bill Bremer says:
> My usual time for a 2 pass tuning is 30-45 minutes.  I can easily raise the
> pitch of a piano 20-50 cents in 3 passes in one hour.

When I was learning this trade (early 70s) my brain was "stamped" with the
notion that you had to allow 90 minutes to 2 hours for a two-pass tuning,
and the preferred method for pitch raising was to do a 30-minute single pass
extra sharp, then come back a week later for a normal, rather long tuning.

How have people gotten so much faster? What's changed?

jason kanter * piano tuning * piano teaching
bellevue, wa * 425 562 4127 * cell 425 831 1561
orcas island * 360 376 2799