Sound waves (Earth Shaking Consequences)

Fri, 11 Jan 2002 19:13:21 +0100

Ron Nossaman wrote:

> >Earth shaking implications..? this list..? influencing large numbers of people
> >world wide... ya think ? I dunno Ron, maybe you're right.... who do you
> >think we
> >should get to be Paul Revere then ? :)
>
> Well, we can always go back to magic tone wood, magic varnish, and
> mysteries mortal man wasn't meant to know. Maybe being naked in the woods,
> cringing from the lightning isn't that bad, really. I'd tend to think
> supporting science and understanding over intuition and guesswork has had
> some reasonably earth shaking implications through history, but that's an
> admittedly biased view that doesn't weigh in all possible opinions.

ahhhh... I don't think there is much chance of returning to neanderthal life,....
at least not any more then is otherwise usual in this life.  No, the real danger
comes from thinking that we (any of us) are for some reason in possession of less
of the kind of stuff magic is made of then others.  We are all, as far as I can
see, just as committed to finding facts and truths, and just as easily fooled into
thinking we are in possession of these when we are not.  If anything will push us
backwards it is exactly the temptation to award far too much benefit of the doubt
to ourselves, and far to little to the thoughts and ideas of others.

> Are you trying to tell me that this list hasn't in the least increased the
> educational and competence level of techs around the world?

Of course not, the list has its value. I just question the need for anyone deeming
it necessary to declare for the rest of us who's full of smoke and who's not.
Readers are fully competent enough to make up their minds for themselves.

> >Concern youself with such if you will. For my part I just am interested in
> >what all parties have to say.
>
> I'm interested in the bottom line of what is real and what isn't.

As are we all I am sure.

> To me, this is the means to an end, not the entire game.

Er... and what would those be ?

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.