Key Bushing Mortises

Fri, 11 Jan 2002 19:29:53 +0100

Farrell wrote:

> So, what to do. If this were my piano for life, I would rout out or chisel
> out the proper recess. This is not my piano, but I do want to have flat key
> bottoms. Can I cut the bushings at the key bottom and not have any flap -
> much like many center rail bushings are cut?

I wouldnt recommend that, tho if the keys sit low enough you might not
experience any problems. Why not just make sure the flaps are glued flat and
tight to the bottom of the keys, even tho they are not recessed as is most usual
? Wont that accomplish a flat enough key bottom ?

> That would certainly be the
> easiest solution, assuming I would get proper performance (I don't see why
> this would not work - or is it too easy to damage the bushing when setting
> the key onto the pin?).

That would be the concern, yes.

--
Richard Brekne