wim/pitch raise experiment

Maxpiano@AOL.COM Maxpiano@AOL.COM
Fri, 11 Jan 2002 20:07:15 EST

In a message dated 1/9/02 10:47:01 PM Eastern Standard Time, Bigeartb@AOL.COM
writes:

> The steamer steamed real....real good on a stain on the carpet next to the
> piano. The pressure from the sound board "ripped" the nose bolt from the
> frame and the harp broke.

I doubt that the carpet steaming had anything measurably to do with it.  I
believe your nose bolt was about ready to let loose, and the pitch raise
finished it--a few hours after you left.

Years ago a customer had me tune her 1960's Baldwin Acrosonic console.  Since
it was about 100 cents low, I raised the pitch to A=440.  She was a teacher
and had me back regularly to tune it.  After several years, one time when I
arrived to tune it, I noticed the pitch had dropped in the area of the
tenor-treble break.  I pulled it back up, tuned it and it seemed fine.  The
next tuning, the same area was even lower.  I then got out my flashlight and
discovered a crack in the strut at the break.

I didn't tune it but informed her of the problem.  Another technician bought
the piano from her and discovered that the nose bolt had come loose from the
back post.  He anchored it, restrung the piano and used it for years as a
rental instrument.

Bill Maxim, RPT
Maxim Piano Service
212 Newpark Place