tuning speed WOW

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Fri, 11 Jan 2002 20:13:12 EST

In a message dated 1/11/02 6:23:46 PM Central Standard Time,
pianolover88@hotmail.com (pianolover 88) writes:

> Amazing. That would imply that a single tune would take as little as 15
> minutes? That would include strip muting, setting the temp., tuning the
> bass
> & treble (and of course all the usual tests and checks) and tuning the
> unisons ALL in 15 minutes? WOW! Sounds like Fairchild territory!
>
> Terry

Not really, Terry, Steve Fairchild can get through the whole piano in under 5
minutes.  Actually, 15 minutes is not an extraordinary time.  Some have asked
where I learned how to tune so fast.  It goes back to the lectures that the
late George Defebaugh RPT and Jim Coleman Sr RPT (both Golden Hammer Award
winners) used to give.  George had a presentation called "Speed & Accuracy".

You don't do "all the checks" when you do your first Rough Tuning.  You
simply pop the string into approximate tune with one or two quick strokes.  I
appreciate Conrad's contribution but it really doesn't matter much whether I
use the ETD or not.  There are cases when I really am in a hurry so I don't
have time for the ETD, I just get down to business as quickly as possible.

In his demonstration, I recall George getting through the whole piano in
about 9 minutes (although in the class description a claim of 7 minutes was
made).  I can get through the whole piano in 10 minutes, maybe a little less
under ideal circumstances and if I am at the height of concentration.

The key to doing this is to tell yourself that you will not try to fight with
the piano once but to tune it twice, both times far more easily and with far
less stress than a one pass attempt.  George used to say, "You can tune a
piano twice a lot easier and quicker than you can fight with it once".

The 1st pass or Rough Tuning puts the piano basically well in tune and leaves
the unsettled strings for the second pass.  This does allow you to do aural
checks and a really fine tuning on the second pass and still be very quick
about it.

My final job today was a Walter Console which was fairly new but which had
not been tuned enough and was nearly 1/2 step low.  There were also a few
hammers which needed spacing, a few keys which needed leveling, several keys
which needed easing and all the pedals needed several cranks of the thumb
screws too.  I did 3 complete passes plus all of the other work and was
leaving in just a couple of minutes under 90.

 I took the time to say that it is a great choice of piano, I have one myself
and to comment on the beautiful rugs they had.  No rush, just the usual pace.
 One reader asked if I thought I was doing too much.  I began to develop
tendinitis at age 40 from working very hard but not taking the time to
stretch first.  I do special stretching exercises to keep myself limber.  I
visit the Chiropractor monthly for *wellness* maintenance.

On New Year's Eve I had an unusual acute attack of low back pain that may
have had something to do with working extra hard during the holiday season
but probably more with having slept in an awkward position the night before.
I had the back pain after having *rested* 8 hours, not working.   It took 2
days of good rest to settle down.

The suggestion that I not do what I enjoy doing and earn good money at just
so I might not have a few aches and pains does not even occur to me.  If you
ask me which would I rather have, thousands more dollars in my bank account
each month or slightly fewer aches and pains, I'll take the money and go get
a good massage and have a steak dinner out to boot and still have money to
save and invest.  I'll be enjoying the fruits of my hard labor now when I
really am too old to work.

By the way, I wanted to show you my technique and explain how you could
increase your speed but maintain your accuracy when I was out your way
visiting but you didn't quite have time for it.  Maybe next time you will?
(George Defaubaugh was also a Los Angeles area resident and tuned at my high
school).

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin