tuning speed

Fri, 11 Jan 2002 20:47:19 -0800

I think it's a mistake to put out the message of how long a tuning =
should take.  There are different styles of working.  To set each string =
in 5 seconds might be reasonable on some pianos.  But I don't see how =
that could possibly take into account setting a temperament (for aural =
tuners), taking measurements and calculating stretch (for ETD users), or =
going through any types of aural checks (which should happen for both).  =
 Assuming you can comfortably put a string in tune, set the pin, and =
deliver a few test blows in that time, I'm not sure how you can have any =
time left to check intervals or even let the string vibrate long enough =
to allow a beat (if there is one) to develop.  The goal is accuracy.  =
Speed is not unimportant as a consideration of business, but it is =
secondary to the job at hand.   I feel like I work comfortably fast, I =
have no trouble scheduling 5 or even 6 pianos in a day ( or more in an =
institutional setting), but I can't imagine doing a tuning with any =
reliable accuracy and stability in 20 minutes, unless the piano is =
already basically in tune.   Suggesting that a 1 hour tuning puts one in =
the category of "newbie" not only sends the wrong message, but indicates =
a misguided sense of priorities. =20

David Love
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Wimblees@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: January 11, 2002 8:08 PM
  Subject: Re: tuning speed

  In a message dated 1/12/02 3:07:49 AM !!!First Boot!!!, =
greeneguy63@mindspring.com writes:=20

  Joe Garrett said,=20

    I feel good if I get a tuning done in under an hour. =20

  I have always wanted to question this. I don't understand how an =
experienced, seasoned tuner, like Joe, (and others), can take so long to =
tune a piano. Am I, (and a couple of others), the exception to the rule? =
What do you guys do that takes so long?=20

  When I hear a string out of tune, I put in tune, set the pin and pound =
the key to make sure it stays, and move on. I can do all of that in 5 =
seconds. At 240 strings, that's 20 minutes. If I add 2 seconds to move =
the hammer to the next pin, and the mute to the next string, it ads 8 =
minutes. Sometimes I take a little longer, but no where near an hour. =
(of course, this is on a stable piano, that's on pitch).=20

  I can understand a newbie taking longer, but please tell me what you =
do that takes so long? (I'm not picking on you, Joe, I just want to =
know).=20

  Wim=20