tuning speed WOW

Bill Ballard yardbird@pop.vermontel.net
Fri, 11 Jan 2002 23:48:11 -0500

At 7:42 PM -0800 1/11/02, Stephen Airy wrote:
>It still takes me upwards of 2 hours to do one pass on
>my R*cc* even when it's only 5 or 10 cents flat, and
>it will be out of tune within a week.  Should I start
>going through it twice, roughly getting it in the
>ballpark on the first pass with a little overpull and
>fine tuning on the second?  Do you have any tips on
>how to cut my time spent to an hour and 15 minutes or
>so?

I wouldn't worry about it. Considering that it's the only piano
you're tuning at this point (and not one of 15 or 20 on a particular
week), as well as the fact that the piano's owner is not standing
there tapping their foot waiting for you to finish up, you can take
your time and concentrate on quality. That is unless it's cutting
into your homework (or gameboy) time. It's the people who exchange
money for their tunings who are concerned with how fast they can do
it.

>Also, how does someone do a tuning in 5 or 10 minutes?
>  I would like to see it done sometime.  What would you
>say would be the fastest a 100 to 200 cent pitchraise
>could be done?

You could try the list archives, searching for "Guinness Book of
World Records". Or simply look up the book down at the High School
library.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"Did you find that listening to your father's records gave you a clue
to who he was as a musician?"
     ...........NPR "Fresh Air" host Terry Gross to Ravi Coltrane son
of John. As always, asking the tough questions.