Varnish--Hard finish vs Soft finish

Erwinspiano@AOL.COM Erwinspiano@AOL.COM
Sat, 12 Jan 2002 02:28:56 EST

In a message dated 1/11/2002 7:26:08 PM Pacific Standard Time,
joegarrett@earthlink.net writes:

> Subj:Varnish--Hard finish vs Soft finish
> .

    Wow Joe At this point having applied lots of both and heard other rebuilt
pianos with polyurethane (not polyester) finish. I can't say I agree but
thetas O.K. I'm still thinking about your experience. I've heard lots of
really fine sounding pianos with both. At this juncture I'm far more
convinced of the type of spruce that I like the sound of regardless of the
finish. I've used all or many varieties of spruce (I think) And I personally
like the sounds of Sitka hands down and think it has little to do with the
finish.
    Currently both sides of my panels recieve a good wet coat of sprayed on
shellac which soaks in and seems to have a case hardening effect.(I don't
know but it seems like if soundboards are moving air that this should be a
good thing.) This is what all the good old boys did and then they applied the
varnish which as you know has a dis -similar solvent than shellac (alcohol
base) and to my knowledge cannot penetrate the shellac coat and soak into the
wood or am I missing something there.
    My second coats are one wet coat sanding sealer one or two coats gloss
lacquer
     Sanding sealer is less brittle because of the stearates that aid sanding
than clear gloss lacquer
   Also there as many reasons a piano can sound thin other than just the
finish of course, just take your pick. Most pianos sound thin to me for two
primary reasons 1. hard pressed hammers or lack of voicing and 2. Not enough
downbearing
  Also as it was pointed out varnishes get hard and or brittle over time too.
  No offense this seems incredibly subjective but I'm not discounting
experience, yours or anybody else's, because I have some pet theories too.
After many years of experience we know what we know, Subjective or not. Does
that make sense?  Further thoughts Joe?
   I'll coat the next board with varnish and let you what I think. I'll use
your brand. Won't be long As I have a Mason A board about to get to that
point.

               Best---Dale Erwin