Shop Organization

Tom Driscoll tomtuner@mediaone.net
Fri, 11 Jan 2002 23:37:07 -0800

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Wimblees@aol.com=20

  MoodyPiano@AOL.COM writes:=20

    List,=20

    Can anyone recommend a system for maintaining order in the shop.
    Thanks in advance,=20

    Lanie=20

  My dad was a great one for keeping his shop neat and organized. (I =
just wish I had inherited some of those organizational skills.) For =
large tools, hang them on a peg board, and, using adhesive shelf paper, =
make an outline of the tool where it hangs. This way you can more easily =
identify the tool, and it has a place to go to when your done using it. =
For smaller tools, get a set of drawers, and put like tools in each =
drawer, (screw drivers, pliers, regulating tools, etc.). Be sure to mark =
each drawer, so you know what's in them. You can do the same thing for =
parts. Keep  parts in a box, and label the box. If the box is too big to =
fit in a drawer, put it on a shelf, but put a lable on teh box teeling =
you what's in it. If you really want to be organized, keep the parts in =
alphabetical order.=20

  Now that your tools and parts are organized, the next step is to get =
everyone to put tools and parts back where they belong when they get =
done using them. That will probably be the most difficult job of =
getting, and keeping, organized.=20

  Hope this helps.=20

  Wim=20

  Lanie-Wim.
  =20
      Great suggestions Wim. If I may add a few more.
          =20
       1  Remove  objects  supplies and tools  not related to the tasks =
designated for=20
        your shop

      2  Clear your work surfaces after each task
     =20
      3  Checklists for all shop participants   i.e. Putting tools away, =
cleanup tasks , list of              supplies used for inventory =
control.
     =20
      4 Give your technicians lots of money.
         =20