Varnish--Hard finish vs Soft finish

Moffatt & Sons Piano moffattr@cadvision.com
Sat, 12 Jan 2002 00:44:28 -0700

   Joe remarks..
  I ran into a beautiful Bechstein, 7' grand one time many years ago. It =
had
  been "rebuilt" in Europe by a "highly recommended" rebuilder. The =
finish was
  exquisite, the action work was acceptable, the stringing was =
acceptable, the
  tone/sound was lousy! =20
  Joe goes on to say..
  For those who like the brittle sound of modern "cookie
  cutter" pianos, forget the varnish and use lacquer.  I could go on for =
several=20
  paragraphs about this, but I'm sure there are those who are glad
  that I don't. <G>
  Regards,
  Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)

-----

Joe,

These, and many more observations, along with your questioning the =
validity as piano technicians of some "contributing" to this =
list....what, if I may ask,=20
are your credentials. Further, where did you receive your training? Just =
a bit of me, being a bit of you, with a harmless query (imho) before =
stepping into=20
the debate!

Regards,

Bob