Training/Apprenticeships London, UK

Barrie Heaton piano@a440.co.uk
Sat, 12 Jan 2002 14:02:25 +0000

In message <a4.1f2fa6f1.296d9b5a@aol.com>, AlanRMorrison@AOL.COM writes
>Dear List,
>
>I wonder if any of you can help.  I live in London and am looking for a
>technician or workshop willing to give me some training and experience
>rebuilding pianos.  I am thirty years old with a background as a pianist.  I
>have a degree in music (for what it's worth) and presently work as a
>freelance music copyist.  I'm basically looking for a change of direction
>which is fulfilling even if it won't make me rich!

Not may company's in the UK take on apprentices most who come into the
trade in the UK go to college.

>It seems that the training options here in the UK are somewhat limited.  For
>the time being, I'm less interested in earning a living tuning pianos and
>more interested in getting experience doing restoration work which I feel is
>best learned in a workshop.  I am looking for experience more than I am
>looking for paid work.

Depends how much you wish to get paid someone  will take you on if the
pay is low

>I follow the list with much interest and wish that I could find the same
>level of helpfulness and enthusiasm from people here in the UK as there is in
>the US and other parts of the world.  Maybe I've been talking to the wrong
>people :)

The attitude in the UK to part time or none college learners is awful
compered to the US that is manly due to  way we train tuners in the UK
manly in college The entrance criteria for the "pro orgs" is bias to the
college trained tech as well.  OTOH  most who train  US do it by
apprenticeship or distance learning so there is a willingness to share
knowledge. The college trained techs in the US are in the minority.

  The PTG allows members in form day one of their learning of the craft
Yet in the UK you have to be at it for 5 years for the PTA and pass an
entrance exam for the ABPT up to  3 years and have passed the exams The
ABPT has changed their entrance   criteria they now recognise colleges
out site the UK and some external exams. However, to give an example for
some one in the US to become a member they will have had to have
attended  college for 2 years mim and passed all the PTG test. We have
one guy join last year. The PTA and ABPT do allow none members to attend
seminars sort of.... Also, the UK supply houses offer some training days
and are open to all but are limited to certain fields or products they
are pushing.

There are lists like this one in the UK However, they are closed lists
you have to be members.  :-(

>Any encouragement would be welcome!

Not much above  but Try

 Bluthners