Varnish--Hard finish vs Soft finish

John Delacour JD@Pianomaker.co.uk
Sat, 12 Jan 2002 16:17:04 +0000

This is explosive territory, so I'll say what I do without commenting
directly on others' methods.  Over the years I've used just about
every product and method and seen the results, after years, of the
products and methods used by other restorers.  One excellent restorer
I know always uses a high quality yacht varnish (spar?) and swears by
it, but I've never actually compared tonal results "before and after"
of his pianos and have never followed his practice.

For several years now I have used the same method on every piano.  My
aim is to get a hard mirror finish as thin as possible on the board.
I do not aim at any significant absorption of the finish into the
wood and seek only excellent adhesion to the surface.  Everything
I've ever read suggests that the finish on a soundboard is mainly
protective and cosmetic.  It seems to me logical to think that
hardness and smoothness will also affect the radiation of sound from
the board, and though I have no scientific evidence that this is so,
I work on the principle that it can do no harm to presume that it is
so.

I begin work on the soundboard as early as possible in the
resoration, because it requires a lot of labour and also a lot of
time, even when spirit-based products are used.  All the pianos I
work on will have been finished with a spirit-based varnish or
lacquer, normally a solution of various resins and gums, which is
superficial and can quite easily be scraped off.  For this I use a
collection of very old and very short broad chisels, specially
adapted for the work.

Once all the superficial varnish has been removed, I remove the
remainder with P150 Fre-cut and finer.  In between I will wipe the
board along the grain with a rag soaked in spirit, mainly to show up
where varnish remains.

Next I damp the surface with water and paper up again when dry.  This
process may be repeated several times.  All the while I am careful
not to reduce the thickness of the board by over-zealous papering up.

Once the board is visually as even-coloured as possible I will do any
shimming that is needed.  I won't go into detail about this, since it
is a topic on its own.  SInce I use hide glue and a lot of moisture
is involved, I will leave the shims proud for several days before
trimming level and papering up.

I next give the board a coat of hot weak size made from rabbitskin
glue, and when this is dry just lightly skim over the board with
paper to remove any roughness.

The polish I use for the soundboard is not quite the same as I use
for the case and contains additives that give a harder and less
permeable finish.  Basically it is "special pale" shellac polish and
just what my supplier adds, I'm not sure.  I brush this on with the
grain, usually two coats at a time.  After each application, I leave
the surface to go good and hard and then cut down with P240 Fre-cut,
used dry after the first application but used wet (yes! but it must
be MMM) after subsequent coats.

I do not aim to build a thick body but only to achieve a flat finish
without the peaks and valleys of the winter growth and summer growth.
Once I have this, I begin to work with the French-polishing rubber,
but mainly in straight lines and without the use of oil.  This may
continue over a period of days or even weeks while the polish hardens
thoroughly and sinks.

For the final finish, I use standard French-polishing finishing-out
techniques, working with oil at first and using the normal circular
and figure-of-8 motion.  I let days pass in between and continue
until the finish is to my liking.

Though the time from start to finish may be weeks, the time taken in
actually getting the finish is only a few hours when added up; each
coat with the brush will take only 5 or ten minutes and the rubbers
sya 20 minutes each.  Most of the labour is in the preparation of the
wood in the white and most of the time is just waiting for things to
dry and harden off.

A final burnishing with a gentle reviver can do no harm but is
unnecessary if the spiriting off has been done carefully.

JD