ETDs and aural checks

Sat, 12 Jan 2002 08:15:37 -0800

The ETD or ETSD (electronic tuning support device as I like to think of =
it) makes its scale calculation based on a theoretical inharmonicity =
curve.  Variations in the curve on any given piano despite the FAC =
readings will create some areas of disparity which can be corrected on =
the fly, so to speak, by either listening or direct measurement.  I =
can't say that I go through all the checks that I would on an aural =
tuning, but I will at least check octaves thirds and tenths progressions =
as I go, and in the bass I will check be direct measure (play the upper =
note look at the lights, play the lower note and adjust the speed =
accordingly).  I can reach those intervals with one hand and it doesn't =
take that much time.  I have to say that it is rare that I don't make =
some adjustments.

David Love
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Clyde Hollinger=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: January 12, 2002 6:47 AM
  Subject: ETDs and aural checks

  Friends,=20
  How many of you ETD users do aural checks?  Isn't that a waste of =
time, if you can trust the ETD?  Or can't they be trusted?  (I'm not =
giving my opinion -- yet, anyway.)=20

  Clyde=20

  David Love wrote:=20

    To set each string in 5 seconds might be reasonable on some pianos.  =
But I don't see how that could possibly take into account setting a =
temperament (for aural tuners), taking measurements and calculating =
stretch (for ETD users), or going through any types of aural checks =
(which should happen for both).