ETDs and aural checks

Jason Kanter jkanter@rollingball.com
Sat, 12 Jan 2002 11:00:54 -0800

> Compared to some other musical instruments the sounding tone of a piano note
> is very stable in frequency. However, if you read a piano note with a modern
> ETD, you _can_ see ups and downs in the frequency in the ETD display.

A hard blow raises a string's pitch immediately for the first second or two
of the tone, and as the energy dissipates you can visually see the pitch
decline slightly. A hard blow is necessary to set the pin, but a soft blow
will give a more accurate reading of the string's true pitch. I would expect
that if a tuner uses visual ETD only on hard blows, the tuning will be less
accurate than if the pin is first set with a hard blow and then checked
visually on a soft blow. But this is supposition - I have not yet enough
experience with ETD.

jason kanter * piano tuning * piano teaching
bellevue, wa * 425 562 4127 * cell 425 831 1561
orcas island * 360 376 2799