my own Soundboard

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sat, 12 Jan 2002 14:09:58 -0500

> I'm curious, however, why you would seem to think 'glass-like hardness'
> would be advantageous for either soundboard assembly or installation.

Make clear note here Del, I claim no authoritative knowledge here, but this
is my logic: The traditional adhesive for soundboard installation is hot
hide glue. Hot hide glue dries to a glass-like hardness (at least harder
than Titebond which retains some noticeable flexability). A hard-drying glue
might be preferable to a glue which dries somewhat flexible because the
flexable stuff might have some capacity to dampen soundboard vibrations.
That, in a nutshell, is the logic.

Now, it may well be the case that after adequate application of pressure to
the Titebond board/rim joint, there is not enough glue to dampen anything -
regardless of what kind of glue you use. That may well be true. And in all
honesty, if you say it is so, I believe you. If you use Titebond to install
a board, I have no doubt it is as good as anything else. I have yet to buy
any of the Bolduc glue. I you use Titebond for your boards, my best guess is
that I will also when I do my first board in a couple months.

What are your thoughts on the flexible glue line possibility of soundboard
dampening thing? Not realistic? Thanks for your input Del.

Terry Farrell