historical temperaments

Charles Neuman piano@charlesneuman.net
Sun, 13 Jan 2002 11:19:01 -0500 (EST)

Bill Bremmer wrote:
> I have yet to find any music that is worthwhile which *requires* ET.

Many people have said that atonal music needs ET. However, since atonal
music tends not to rely on vertical harmony so much, I'd say it's no crime
to play atonal music in an alternative temperament. It might be
interesting.

> Congratulations, Charles on your find.  May I suggest instead of plowing
> right into one temperament or the other, first browse through some of the
> many anecdotal stories?

Thanks. I appreciate your comments. It's definitely too big of a book to
go from start to finish. I'll read his background information first and
then hit some of the highlights that you mentioned.

I thought the very first sentence in the book was funny. There's no
question where he stands on the issue of the importance of temperament
awareness that we have been discussing. And he doesn't back it up. He'd
certainly get flamed on this list, but somehow I think he could pull it
off.

Charles