Steinway M/rollers/touch

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Sun, 13 Jan 2002 14:04:48 EST

In a message dated 1/13/02 5:26:48 PM !!!First Boot!!!, drjazzca@yahoo.ca
writes:

> I've rebuilt enough grands, and had enough success
> to know this feels different, I suspect when I test
> one shank with a new roller I will become happier.
>
> Ask away, or fire away, flamesuit ready in case.
> I am going to fix this....thinking.
>

>                             Dave Renaud

Dave

You say the customer is reluctant to replace parts, but from what you tell
us, it appears that someone has replace at least the knuckles and the
hammers. I think with the problems you describe a new set of shanks might be
the easiest and most proficient way of solving the touch weight problem.
Perhaps if you replace a few shanks in the middle of the piano, and let the
customer play those, he will feel the difference. If you can convince him
that replacing al of them will not only be cheaper, but give him a more
consistent action, he'll go for it.

Wim