Steinway C (evolution)

Bdshull@AOL.COM Bdshull@AOL.COM
Sun, 13 Jan 2002 15:52:34 EST

Ron, List:

In a message dated 1/13/02 3:50:58 AM Pacific Standard Time,
sec@overspianos.com.au writes:

<< You are quite right. According to Steinway's website, the C was
 introduced in 1861 at 7'1",increasing in size through three revisions
 until it arrived at 7'5" in 1885.

FWIW, the modern "C" began its evolution at the drawing boards when the four
scales were drafted from 1878-1880, the A, B, C and D.  Before 1878 all
Steinway grands had jointed rims and, as far as I know, exposed pinblocks and
3/4 plates*, and were designated by style numbers - 1, 2, 3, 4).  Steinway
now refers to earlier models by modern nomenclature (A, B, C, D), but I have
never seen any historical evidence that Steinway actually referred to the
pre-1878 pianos by letter designation.  In the 1888 catalog (which can be
bought as a reprint from Steinway NY) the modern scales are referred to both
ways - by Style number and letter designation.  Indeed, the actual text of
the 1888 catalog goes back and forth between number and letter:  "Style 2"
and Style B"!

My 1878 Style 2 7'3" (pre-C) has 21 bass notes and a long plain wire scale in
the tenor (22+).  The treble was a short scale designed for A-467 requiring
bridge repositioning to sound good at A-440.  I am not aware that any of the
continuous rim pianos had this "problem."

It appears that Steinway struggled with the idea of using the "return bridge"
or tenor bridge, which used shorter, wound strings (bi- and tri-).   The
earliest "A" had it, and the verticals.  The verticals soon (middle 1880s)
went to 26 note bass bridges with plain wire above that.  Economy and
increasing scale proficiency were probably the reasons.   But I still like
the old "A" scale with the "return" bridge.

The early designs (1-4) also had more dramatic cutoff areas, and many used an
attachable curved iron flange with screws inside the bass cutoff which had
threaded bolts which could be turned against a floating bass cutoff rim.
This idea, used widely on Steinway grands until 1878 (and double-iron frame
uprights from 1866 to 1872), appears to have been completely abandoned in the
modern scales (A-D).

I remain impressed with the old "C", and am reminded more of the "D" than the
"B" by this piano, even though it is only 6 or 7" longer than the "B" and and
about 18" shorter than the "D".  I would like to hear one of Del's rescalings
of a "C".

Bill Shull, RPT

*the longest early scaleswith jointed rims, such as the style 4, might have
had a full plate by 1878 - I am not sure.