my own Soundboard

Erwinspiano@AOL.COM Erwinspiano@AOL.COM
Sun, 13 Jan 2002 17:53:14 EST

In a message dated 1/13/2002 1:17:57 AM Pacific Standard Time,
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com writes:

> Subj:Re: my own Soundboard
> Date:1/13/2002 1:17:57 AM Pacific Standard Time
> From:<A HREF="mailto:mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com">mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com</A>
> To:<A HREF="mailto:pianotech@ptg.org">pianotech@ptg.org</A>
> Sent from the Internet
>

>      Terry Farrell writes
> Greg, my information is that cold hide glue does not have adequate strength
> for the board-to-rim joint.

        Well I don't know about that Terry.  I've glued in close to 50 boards
with the cold hide glue and never a failure. I always use fresh bottles of it
however. If you have used this glue then you would know that it has a longer
working time than hot hide but can dry just as hard with time.  I can easily
glue a board in by myself before I have any concerns about it tacking up too
much. Usually we have the glue on and the board in the rim and clamping up in
6 or 8 minutes fully clamped in 10 min.
     One time I had to remove a couple of ribs from freshly glued up panel
that had sliipped when I put the go bars on. The ribs had dried over the
weekend and I had a miserable time getting them off. Cold hide glue has
proven itself a very tenious bonding agent especially after it has some time
to cure completely. Buy a bottle and bond some spruce to maple and then try
getting it apart after it has dried thoroughly.
   It works for me and others I'm aware of. Maybe the information you
received was somebodys bais or prefrence. Personally I like using glues that
I can easily get off without tearing off too much wood with it. Enough said.

                Dale Erwin