my own Soundboard

Carl Meyer cmpiano@attbi.com
Sun, 13 Jan 2002 16:00:10 -0800

Every bottle of cold hide glue in the orchard supply store is at least a =
year past expiration date.  I recall speaking to a guy from a hide glue =
mfg. that said heating it would rejuvenate it.

I wonder?

Carl Meyer  Assoc. PTG
Santa Clara, California
cmpiano@attbi.com=20

----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Erwinspiano@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Sunday, January 13, 2002 2:53 PM
  Subject: Re: my own Soundboard

  In a message dated 1/13/2002 1:17:57 AM Pacific Standard Time, =

    Subj:Re: my own Soundboard=20
    Date:1/13/2002 1:17:57 AM Pacific Standard Time
    From:mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
    Reply-to:pianotech@ptg.org
    To:pianotech@ptg.org
    Sent from the Internet=20

         Terry Farrell writes
    Greg, my information is that cold hide glue does not have adequate =
strength
    for the board-to-rim joint.=20

          Well I don't know about that Terry.  I've glued in close to 50 =
boards with the cold hide glue and never a failure. I always use fresh =
bottles of it however. If you have used this glue then you would know =
that it has a longer working time than hot hide but can dry just as hard =
with time.  I can easily glue a board in by myself before I have any =
concerns about it tacking up too much. Usually we have the glue on and =
the board in the rim and clamping up in 6 or 8 minutes fully clamped in =
10 min.
       One time I had to remove a couple of ribs from freshly glued up =
panel that had sliipped when I put the go bars on. The ribs had dried =
over the weekend and I had a miserable time getting them off. Cold hide =
glue has proven itself a very tenious bonding agent especially after it =
has some time to cure completely. Buy a bottle and bond some spruce to =
maple and then try getting it apart after it has dried thoroughly.=20
     It works for me and others I'm aware of. Maybe the information you =
received was somebodys bais or prefrence. Personally I like using glues =
that I can easily get off without tearing off too much wood with it. =
Enough said.

                  Dale Erwin
    =20