Jorgensen -- got it!

Charles Neuman piano@charlesneuman.net
Sun, 13 Jan 2002 21:16:27 -0500 (EST)

> Charles writes:
> << Maybe there will be some motivation
> to put it back in print if Ed's CD really takes off. What is really needed
> is for more universities to start teaching about temperaments.
>  >>

> Ed responds:
>    We are doing just that at Vanderbilt, and Avery Todd is too in Houston,
> Paul Dempsey at Marshall(last I heard), as well as a number of other techs I
> have spoken with.

Oh yeah, I remember hearing about that. Actually, my comment (above) was
really the result of a thought process that I didn't write down. I was
thinking about what would motivate a publisher to put Jorgensen's book
back in print, and I was thinking if professors started demaning it for
classes they might teach on the subject, that could help.

In any event, I'm curious if you have been able to affect any faculty, in
particular performance faculty. For example, has anyone said, "Can you
tune the piano like that for my next concert?"

I had a professor who was interested in 19th century performance practice.
He played Chopin with the hands much more independent from each other than
people play it today. I think the general reaction was, "That's nice, from
an academic standpoint, but nobody really plays it like that for REAL."
But I think it did raise some awareness and some interest in the subject.

Charles