Pitch

Robin Hufford hufford1@airmail.net
Sun, 13 Jan 2002 23:01:15 -0800

John,
     While at the Steinway seminar in New York in 1987 I was told by a person I
considered most knowledgeable, that he had seen the forks for the factory from
the period of the 1890's.  Some were at A-440; this was called "soft" pitch.
Others were  457" and called "hard" pitch.  One and the same piano could be
tuned to either pitch, a fact that probably causes scale designer enthusiasts to
throw their hands up.   The factory did not change wire sizes in anticipation of
one piano being used at one level or the other.  I think you are right on the
money as regards the rise in pitch you speak of and the agreement required to
bring it down and stabilize it.
Regards, Robin Hufford