2 New Articles on Website

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Mon, 14 Jan 2002 00:15:28 EST

List,

Chapters 2 & 3 of Skip Becker RPT's series, The History of Tuning are now
available on my website.

I learn a lot by re-reading thse articles. They always seem to tie into what
I say in my own and often what is said on this list.  Recently, there was
much discussion about whether temperament affected the way composers thought
and composed, particularly when writing music for something other than the
piano (or any other keyboard).

I have always thought and maintained that keyboard temperament did in fact
have a dominant influence and still does.  Here are a few quotes from Skip's
Chapter 3 that support that view:

The different feelings of each key were known as the *affections*, and the
study and use of key character was consolidated into the Doctrine of
Affections. The implications of this startling serendipity extended well
beyond keyboard tuning. This doctrine of temperament transformed the very
basis of music in general, and entered into the fabric of daily life.
Shakespeare uses the metaphor in the opening of his Midsummer Night's Dream
(1598):

      Theseus: Hippolyta, I wooed thee with my sword,
              And won thy love doing thee injuries,
                  But I will wed thee in another key-
                  With pomp, with triumph, and with reveling.

Rameau gives us the best description of the four major modes of feelings in
1726:

                  For it is good to note that we receive different
impressions from intervals
  in keeping with their different degree of alteration. For example, the
major 3rd,
  which in its natural state (the pure 5:4 ratio) excites us to joy, as we
know from
  experience, impresses upon us ideas even of fury when it is too large; and
the
  minor 3rd, which in its natural state transports us to sweetness and
tenderness,
   saddens us when it is too small.

The affections became requisite for a good tuning (in effect, the tail
wagging the dog). Common temperament thus made available to musicians a
veritable artists' palate of affects or emotions (24 modes worth, in fact),
which, as Rameau points out: Knowledgeable musicians know how to exploit.

There is plenty more just a few clicks away.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin