my own Soundboard

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Sun, 13 Jan 2002 23:28:48 -0600

>  With  grade A spruce at $8 to $10 a board foot (and the average panel
> requireing 25 bd. ft of material) any screw ups are going to add up in a
> hurry.
>
>                      Dale Erwin

Board feet - now there's a concept that has passed deep into fantasy. What is a
lumber foot these days? Is it under 11" yet? I think 1" is under 5/8 now, which
makes the stuff twice as expensive as it even claims to be and you waste over
half of that (assuming it's all usable, which is unlikely just from differing
grain densities even if all the planks were perfect) in trimmings, shavings,
and sawdust. What (real) thicknesses can spruce be gotten in?  If you could get
real 1" thick stock, it could be resawn and planed with theoretically less
waste but more labor. It would be an interesting project, but it would take a
bunch of panels to pay for the R&D, tooling, and sorting stockpile. It would
also be hard not to be a total nuisance bragging on it to everyone you know if
you pulled it off and made a nice panel. Bragging rights have to be worth
something too.

Too many time sinks and hotter brush fires already in my case.

Ron N