bridge repair--the next step

Tvak@AOL.COM Tvak@AOL.COM
Mon, 14 Jan 2002 08:32:05 EST

In a message dated 1/14/02 7:12:20 AM, mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com writes:

<< I am trying to visualize how this can be (small cracks next to
bridge pins on the row of pins you just bonded back together).  >>

The original crack, of course, traveled right down the row of pins.  The
lateral pressure made the separated piece travel about 1/4" (!) to the right.
  I got it back in place and clamped it, and between the pins certainly there
is a perfect mating and thus no crack at all, but right next to the pins is
that little crack that you often see on older pianos.  As to how this can be,
I don't know.  These cracks never "came back", they were just there from the
moment I clamped.  The two sides don't seem to mate perfectly right there.

<<use a very thick (peanut butter consistency) mixture of
resin and high-strength filler between the pieces and moooosh together.>>

These two pieces were un-moooosh-able.  They would not sit next to each other
and mate perfectly without clamping, and I mean clamping down hard.  I used 3
clamps to try to hold it together and the separated piece is only about 6"
long.  Perhaps this cracked bridge was not an ideal candidate for gluing back
together, but the owners don't want to invest much in its repair, and rightly
so.  No pianists in the house, 1935 Monarch in generally worn condition,
cabinet beat up and alligatored.  It's a basement piano, and it came with the
house.

I go back tomorrow.  Thanks to all for the advice so far.

Tom Sivak

P.S.
Spell checker suggested "mooch" for "moooosh", but offered "No suggestion"
for "un-mooosh-able".