bridge repair--the next step

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Mon, 14 Jan 2002 08:08:06 -0500

> I was able to get the piece that broke off back in place, but I
> can still see where the crack was.  (It cracked right along the row of
bridge
> pins.)  Right now it looks like many other old bridges, with tiny cracks
> emanating laterally from the bridge pins, which I inserted into their
holes
> while the epoxy was still unhardened.

Hello Tom. I am trying to visualize how this can be (small cracks next to
bridge pins on the row of pins you just bonded back together). What type of
epoxy did you use (which exact brand/type)? To bond this type of break, a
good method is to paint both surfaces with unthinned resin (a very, very
thin coat) and then use a very thick (peanut butter consistency) mixture of
resin and high-strength filler between the pieces and moooosh together.
Scrape of excess, insert pins, and you are done. How did the cracks come
back? Did you use epoxy resin with no additive?

Terry Farrell