my own Soundboard

Erwinspiano@AOL.COM Erwinspiano@AOL.COM
Mon, 14 Jan 2002 11:03:17 EST

.
> Subj:Re: my own Soundboard
> Date:1/13/2002 9:33:55 PM Pacific Standard Time
> From:<A HREF="mailto:RNossaman@KSCABLE.com">RNossaman@KSCABLE.com</A>
> To:<A HREF="mailto:pianotech@ptg.org">pianotech@ptg.org</A>
> Sent from the Internet
>
>     With  grade A spruce at $8 to $10 a board foot (and the average panel
> > requireing 25 bd. ft of material) any screw ups are going to add up in a
> > hurry.
> >
> >                      Dale Erwin
>
> .     Dale,
>
> Board feet - now there's a concept that has passed deep into fantasy. What
> is a
> lumber foot these days? Is it under 11" yet? I think 1" is under 5/8 now,
> which
> makes the stuff twice as expensive as it even claims to be and you waste
> over
> half of that (assuming it's all usable, which is unlikely just from
> differing
> grain densities even if all the planks were perfect) in trimmings,
> shavings,
> and sawdust. What (real) thicknesses can spruce be gotten in?

Ron
.>>Is that the same fanatasy as a 2 by 4 and a cord of wood? I have not
purcased much raw spruce but if I did I would want to see about getting some
cants so I could resaw it and hopefully get a better color matched panel than
some I've gotten. If I was going to order spruce from specialty woods or
whatever Id' try to order 7/16" finished planks. Yeah and  I 've thought
about making my own pianos too but as you say too many irons are hot already.

> If you could get real 1" thick stock, it could be resawn and planed with
> theoretically less
> waste but more labor. It would be an interesting project, but it would take
> bunch of panels to pay for the R&D, tooling, and sorting stockpile. It
> would
> also be hard not to be a total nuisance bragging on it to everyone you know
> if
> you pulled it off and made a nice panel. Bragging rights have to be worth
> something too.

    Yeah Ron I'd defintely want the bragging rights. You know My freind John
Hartman? He builds his own panels but he's not bragging. He must be more
humble than you or me. John is a heck of a wood worker!
   Dale