Scales/Richard Brekne's question

Mon, 14 Jan 2002 22:15:57 +0100

Thanks Joe. I would have liked to have gotten more responses, but I suppose
every one is busy elsewhere. The reason I asked was that there are some obvious
questions that arise when one considers the fact that several major piano
manufacturers continue to produce instruments with scales that adherents to the
use of these scaleing programs mean to be able to improve significantly on. This
begs the question "why" ?, and somehow the standard answer of "tradition" or the
like just doesnt quite convince. After reading Benades suggestion that one might
actually view the whole thing, at least to some degree, from a perspective of a
kind of matching up of 2 seperate 2 dimensional plates.. the board and the
"plate" represented by the entire collection of strings comprising the scale...
I just got to wondering what other kinds of priorities have been used to
consider "what a good scale is"

I thought it might be interesting to find out what people thought.

Any ways... Thanks for your reply Joesph. .... that was my brothers name btw...
:)

RicB

--
Richard Brekne