tuning speed

Mon, 14 Jan 2002 13:20:50 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Don Rose" <drpt@sk.sympatico.ca>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: January 14, 2002 1:13 PM
Subject: Re: tuning speed

> Hi David,
>
> I don't call it a tuning until no note is moved more than 2 cents.

I'm not sure what you mean by that.

>And I find that the faster I go ...the more stable the instrument is.

I don't find that to be true for me.  I would say that would not be good
advice for a beginning tuner.  Though there is certainly a point of
dimishing returns, I think that teasing out all the variables in "faster is
more stable" is difficult.  It might be that faster tuners have better
hammer technique to begin with and set things better than someone who labors
and isn't really sure if the pin and string are set anyway.

David Love