Chickering Damper Wires

Susan Kline sckline@attbi.com
Mon, 14 Jan 2002 16:00:31 -0800

Dick --

I'll send you Les's post, which is a classic and complete treatment
of threaded damper wires and how to deal with them. The drop of glue
you are seeing is burnt shellac. (Shellac thickened by burning off
some of the alcohol.)

I think that turning the heads off the wires, replacing the felt,
and turning them back on (then adding a spot of hide glue or burnt
shellac) sounds like the best and least laborious method. You may
need to turn some of the wires up or down, depending on the difference
in thickness of your felt to the old felt.

Susan