Sound waves(The behavior of soundboards)

John Delacour JD@Pianomaker.co.uk
Tue, 15 Jan 2002 19:44:46 +0000

At 6:13 PM +0000 1/15/02, Phillip L Ford wrote:

>However, a body cannot have sustained acceleration without moving.
>And a body cannot have velocity without being in motion.  This is
>what I call playing with semantics.  Del has said that tests showed
>that an accelerometer mounted to an agraffe or a capo registered
>acceleration.  This means motion to me.  And this would seem to be
>inconsistent with the position that the ends of the string don't
>move.  So, a reasonable response would be an explanation of why this
>really is consistent (if it is) with the position that the ends of
>the string don't move.  To say that an accelerometer measures
>acceleration and not motion is a smoke screen to avoid explaining a
>seeming inconsistency.

I beg you not to accuse _me_ of putting up smoke screens.  I have no
interest at all in winning an argument but want to get at the facts.
As to semantics, I have been most careful in my choice of terminology
and expressions.

An accelerometer transduces variations in pressure to a voltage.  At
the point where the string meets the bridge (or where a tuning fork
meets the table)  particles of the bridge at that point are disturbed
and set in motion in the direction of the applied pressure.  How far
they move and how fast is not important at the moment, but at
nano-second zero they accelerate, leaving the remaining particles of
the bridge unaffected.  Exactly the same could be said of the
termination at the stud end of the string, except that the quantities
would be different; in both cases there is so some disturbance, which
certainly means movement, of particles at the meeting-point.

This disturbance initiates a wave of pressure that passes through the
medium at a certain speed, namely the 'acoustic velocity' of the
medium or the 'speed of sound' in that medium, which I believe I'm
correct in thinking are synonymous expressions.

If we consider our body, the bridge, as a single vertical "ray" or
line of particles rather than a three-dimensional mass of particles,
it will be easier to explain.  The particles of an elastic body have
a certain relationship to each other in space when they are in
equilibrium.  If a homogeneous elastic body is heated, for example,
the body, as we all know, will expand and the particles be more
distant from each other.  The bond, i.e. the atomic force, between
them becomes weaker.  At a certain temperature, the bond will become
so weak that the body liquefies, and at a higher temperature this
fluid will vaporize.  In the cases we are considering, we are forcing
the particles of the body to take up different positions in relation
to each other.  We are opposing a force or pressure to the forces
that holds them in equilibrium.  So long as we don't overdo it, much
of the energy we have expended in stretching the wire or compressing
the bridge, or whatever, will remain as strain energy in the body,
and this will be converted to kinetic energy, when our force is
removed, to restore the body to its original shape.  All this is to
emphasize that any elastic body, by definition, is composed of
particles that can to a degree (that being the elastic limit of the
material) be moved closer together or further apart by an imposed
force.

To return to our bridge consisting of a vertical "ray" of particles
and let me return to an analogy I used earlier -- that of a
transparent tube containing a stack of little cylindrical magnets
disposed North<>South<>S<>N<>N<>S<>S<>N etc.  Let the magnets
represent particles of an elastic medium and the repulsive force
between them the atomic forces between them.  This ray of magnets is,
of course, compressible.  If we close the bottom of the tube so that
the bottom magnet can't move, and press down on the top magnet, we
oppose our force to the magnetic force and the magnets are pressed
closer together.  If we move the top magnet a certain distance and
maintain the pressure, the magnets will (very fast but
_not_instantaneously_) take up different positions in respect to each
other.  Each magnet, or particle will have been displaced a different
amount and the ray will be in a state of compression.

I'll break off there and continue the analogy once you have accepted
that this is a clear description of a demonstrable experiment.  If
there are any problems with it, I'll try to make myself clearer in
response to your queries.  So far, of course, I have attempted only
to draw a picture of a one-dimensional bridge, which will take us
quite a long way and is easy to visualize.

JD