Sound waves(The behavior of soundboards)

John Delacour JD@Pianomaker.co.uk
Tue, 15 Jan 2002 21:00:24 +0000

At 7:54 PM +0100 1/15/02, Richard Brekne wrote:

>Some of the Violin stuff I have read so far seems to point in a direction of
>these modes being some kind of ... what... "basis resonance framework" which
>the string resonances are sort of superimposed on... ?Perhaps that's clumsily
>worded. But like I say I have to read a few times through before I think I am
>sure of what's being said in these kinds of articles.

Yes, thanks Charles!  Stephen Birkett put me onto these lectures some
months back, since they are mentioned in his modelling proposal as
the summit of modern piano knowledge (not _too_ much irony,
Stephen!), and they are certainly interesting.  I think the Conklin
article on longitudinal vibrations in the string has been talked out
in another thread and is not really relevant in this discussion.  As
to the Wogram article, which touches on this discussion, it seems
that one of the main aims of the Giordano paper was to disprove
Wograms findings, since he covers so much of the same ground in a not
very original way, so we are left with Suzuki and Giordano largely in
agreement about certain aspects of the natural flexural vibrations of
the soundboard and impedance, and still left in some doubt about ther
significance of any of them.  This is not to bring a plague on all
their houses, because there are some very interesting observations
and findings both here and in Giordano.

Clumsily worded or not, Richard, you seem to have got the drift of
these experiments and in a way they are peripheral to our discussion
in the first instance, but will become very relevant when, as I hope
we shall, we get to consider the role of impedance in the production
(I use the word loosely) of sound.  As you say, they seem to be
talking of the enabling environment or structure that allows the
sound to be radiated in the desired fashion.  And this is where
flexibility or mobility does enter into things in a very important
way.

The flow of sound through the system is regulated by this impedance,
and I have seen both hydraulic and electrical analogies made.  To
take a car battery as an example, here we have two terminals between
which there is a potential difference, or voltage.  If we connect the
two terminals with a conducting medium, electrical energy flows from
one terminal to the other.  The energy is always the same in nature,
but how much energy flows and the effect is has will depend on what
we use to make the connection.   The ratio of pressure to flow gives
us the 'resistance' of the conductor, and electrical 'impedance' is a
similar ratio used in different contexts.

Our energy is sound energy, and how much of it flows and how much is
held back (absorbed or reflected) is determined by the harmonic
"framework" so to speak.

At the same time there are the natural flexural vibrations of the
soundboard to be taken into account -- and there are some interesting
examples in the articles of how this can be a nuisance.  We do not
want notes to set up resonances at the natural frequencies of the
structure...that's putting it very roughly and I don't want to go
into detail about this because I still need to understand a lot about
these relationships.

JD