Soundboard 60-ft. Arc

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 16 Jan 2002 07:33:07 -0500

Dear Pianogeometrical Wizzes:

Greg Newell is causing me problems. He is making his first soundboard, and
he caused me to lay awake half the night diagramming 60-foot arcs, fire-hose
air clamps, clamping tables, etc. Geesh! Don't people ever think of the
ramifications of their actions?

Anyway, using my CAD program to draw some arcs for making rib clamping
cauls, I drew an eight-foot long arc with a 60-foot radius (common arc for a
soundboard). Looking at the crown of such an arc over an eight-foot span, I
get 1.6 inches of crown. On a five-foot span I get 0.63 inches of crown.
This seems excessive (isn't an unstressed new board supposed to have about
1/4" - 3/8" of crown in the middle?). Or is it that on the rib-crowned
board, you cut the rib to the aforementioned arc, glue it to the board in a
caul of the same arc, and when removed from the caul the naturally flat
board help the assembly to straighten out a bit to where it has the
"?normal?" 1/4" - 3/8" of crown?

Am I making a boo-boo somehow with my drawing?

Terry Farrell