Spread-Cheeks Wurlie

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 17 Jan 2002 08:31:37 -0500

I did a major refurbish on one of these puppies about a year ago. About =
a 1948 as I recall. Refinish, all new felt under keys, key =
pins/bushings, polish keys, CA tuning pins, file hammers, voice, =
regulate, repinning, a few other repairs.....$2,000. The lady learned =
how to play on it when she was a child - so it was the ONLY piano that =
would be in her home. This particular piano looked like a million bucks =
when done (well, maybe a few thousand) and sounded BETTER than my =
sad-story Steinway 1098 (well, maybe not in the bass) that originally =
got me into this business. It played real nicely also. It truly was =
wonderfully mellow and had good power.

I sent out the refinishing - the guy told me he did not do pianos, but =
then I explained that he would only be getting small light parts no =
bigger than 3' x 1' x 1' - he said OK. He did a real nice job at a very =
economical price. I have several pictures of this piano when completed =
if anyone wants to see it. I think it is a beautiful piano. We kidded =
around here that it was the piano from outer-space! Definitely extreme =
50s retro.

I had fun with it, made good money, and the lady absolutely went =
head-over-heels over it - as a matter-of-fact, the little $2,000 spinet =
refurbish I have in my shop right now originated from a referral by the =
first spinet lady to the present one through her church. I love when =
that stuff starts to happen.

Does anyone ever get calls from someone that insists you tuner their =
piano in the past and you know you didn't - I get them - "you tuned my =
piano 5 years ago....." (I have only been tuning for 3 years). Hey, the =
customer is always right! - Right?

Z! - I didn't understand what kind of piano you were describing =
originally - I pictured one of the butterfly grands in my mind at first =
- actually, by the subject of the post I almost deleted it, thinking it =
was one of those obnoxious xxx things that appears all too often in my =
inbox.

Take care.

Terry Farrell

----- Original Message -----=20