Baldwin accu-hitch pins

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Thu, 17 Jan 2002 23:31:41 -0600

> I recently assessed a Baldwin D with accu hitch pins.  After measuring the
> bearing in several places I found that the piano generally was set up with
> negative rear bearing (Lowell Gauge).  I am considering adjusting the rear
> bearing in order to get the overall bearing where I want it.  What is the
> general procedure for doing this?  Does one measure each string in each
> section?  Or is there a way to set the end strings, for example, of each
> section and somehow put all the strings on the same plane?  Do you have to
> let off the tension to move the string down (in this case) the hitch pin?  Or
> can I just tap it down with a brass rod?  Input is appreciated.
>
> David Love

Hi David,
You don't really need to measure each and every string. Set maybe four in each
section with the gage and eyeball the rest. Spot check occasionally to see how
closely your eyeball calibrates, adjust accordingly, and trust the average to
get you well within close enough. Close enough is, after all, close enough.
Your judgement is as good as anyone elses. It is done at full tension, goes
more quickly than you expected, and will probably leave you wondering why you
were concerned about it in the first place. It's a very nice system - which
will come home to you the next time you have to set bearing again in the
"usual" way. A mild steel or brass rod with a hole drilled in it to accommodate
the hitch pin diameter works just fine to knock them down.

Piece of cake.

Ron N