my own Soundboard

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Fri, 18 Jan 2002 08:01:57 -0500

Woooh! Yeah. OK, I see now. I guess that is the difference between =
someone that builds quite a few panels, and one that is thinking about =
his first! I suspect such a machine is a bit beyond me at this time. I =
studied the picture for quite a while trying to figure out exactly what =
does what on this machine and am not quite there - don't even try to =
enlighten me, because clearly, I will not be using any such machine for =
a long time!

But, what I do have, and what I think might work reasonably well, is a =
BIG sanding block. I mean big. I found a real nice flat (like totally =
flat) piece of poplar (I think  it is about 6 inches wide by about 5 =
feet long) and epoxied a strong lattice work of straight dry oak planks =
up on edge (just to try and keep the poplar board real flat, i.e. not =
twisting, bowing, etc. - the back side of my poplar plank looks like the =
underneath of a Bosendorfer). Then I made a couple clamp thingees on the =
back side, one at each end. Then I bought three sanding belts - I forget =
right off what grits - 60, 80, 120 or there abouts - that are 6 inches =
wide and 3 feet in diameter (6-foot-plus in circumference). Cut them and =
attach the belts such that I have what is just like the little =
half-sheet rubber sanding blocks, only mine is 6 inches by 5 feet.

Would you think that careful use of such a sanding tool on a soundboard =
panel would have the potential to result in successful nice, even, =
thickness reduction? (The panel would need to be laid on a very flat =
table of course! - which I have - my regulating table - that I made real =
flat with use of my BIG sanding block!) A few strokes this way, a few =
strokes at right angles to that, moving all around, and so on?

Unless there are obvious flaws here, I suppose the way to go is "try it =
and see"!

Am I on to a simple workable solution here? Or am I just treading water =
before I sink?

How do others in the "one or two soundboards a year" shop do it? Thanks.

Terry Farrell
  ----- Original Message -----=20