Painted String Rendering

Tvak@AOL.COM Tvak@AOL.COM
Fri, 18 Jan 2002 08:44:05 EST

In a message dated 1/18/02 7:15:56 AM, mjbkspal@execpc.com writes:

<< Good luck selling the restringing job! >>

Terry,

I'm nobody, I know less than 90% of the folks on this list, including you,
Terry, but I feel obligated to speak up on this thread.

Am I the only one who finds the concept that just because a piano is
difficult to tune, this is reason enough to encourage the owner of the piano
to pay hundreds of dollars to restring it?

Time is money.  It took three hours to tune?  Charge her more for the extra
effort, but if the piano sounds good, how can you justify restringing?

I know you didn't like the idea of flagpoling pins, but I would encourage you
to try it on this piano and see if it doesn't help.  You mention that you
turn the pin, and turn the pin, and then suddenly your 20 cents sharp.  Try
turning the pin just the normal amount, and then with your tuning lever
parallel to the string, handle away from you, lift up on the handle.  I'll
bet the string will slide right through that agraffe.  With practice you can
get the string to come out just a little on the sharp side, and you can relax
the pin back down to pitch.  I use this technique on pianos that don't render
well and I find it easier to zone in on the correct pitch than turning,
turning, turning.

Tom Sivak