Steinway console scale

Les Conover locolesco@yahoo.com
Fri, 18 Jan 2002 07:23:54 -0800 (PST)

Hi, Newton,
    Thanks for replying.  I agree tension is variable,
but when you see the mid treble down around 130 lbs.
and the high treble pushing 180 lbs,, something is
wrong.  At least it should be the other way around.
There are other factors, yes, but they all tend to
interrelate.  I've found that a smooth transition in
the tension from tenor to top treble will also give a
smooth transition in inharmonicity and the rest of it.
I'm not altering the bass section.  I've only
redesigned the bass of one piano, an old Foster
upright, a desperation case where the top bass string
was 4" LONGER than the first tenor string.  Comments?
Anybody else?