Cordier temperament & tempered octaves

Marcel Carey mcpiano@globetrotter.net
Fri, 18 Jan 2002 10:31:42 -0500

Bill,

I've been using your method to learn EBVT and am quite pleased with the
results. So far I did 3 pianos and have to agree with you that the pianos
have become mellower and more harmonious. Also I find the procedure
(temperamant setting) to be easily done.

Marcel Carey
  -----Original Message-----
  From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf Of
Billbrpt@AOL.COM
  Sent: 18 janvier, 2002 09:19
  To: pianotech@ptg.org
  Subject: Re: Cordier temperament & tempered octaves

  In a message dated 1/15/02 7:47:54 PM Central Standard Time,
oleg-i@wanadoo.fr (Isaac OLEG SIMANOT) writes:

    Just to say that I tuned a few pianos , verticals and grand's, with the
Bill Bremmer method of equal tempered octaves. Thanks to Mr Bremmer to put
his method on the Web

  Merci beaucoup, thank you, Oleg for your testimonial.  Yes, the Tempered
Octaves method is surprisingly easy and yields beautiful and consistent
results.  Perhaps some of those who find it hard to believe that I can tune
as quickly as I can and do "all the checks" will realize that I don't need
to any more than just one for each of the notes in the 1st, 2nd, 5th, 6th
and 7th octaves and have results just as quickly and accurately as if I had
used an ETD.  Also, this method is perfectly suited for ET, I developed it
back in the early 1980's when I was still tuning ET.

  Now, Oleg, if you will make the effort to try to learn the EBVT, I am sure
that you will find it to be superior to the Cordier temperament.  You will
get the same good effect with Romantic music as you get with the Cordier but
earlier music played in the simple keys with close harmony will sound much
more harmonious.

  In my opinion, the idea of tuning a temperament with all pure 5ths is self
serving to the tuner only.  A tuner does not like the sound of the tempered
5th when tuning and feels the urge to "correct" it.  This is what leads to
the Reverse Well error.  If only all 5ths could be pure and all 3rds beat
gently, we would all be in Tuner's Heaven but it cannot ever happen.  There
will always be a consequence.

  Therefore, it is better to accept that fact and *arrange* the consequences
to align themselves with the Cycle of 5ths.  The tempered 5th sound that is
displeasing to a tuner will not be heard in the typical musical context.
The EBVT, as many HT's do provides a canceling out effect that causes that
tempered sound to be "swallowed".  Also, my Tempered Octave method "cleans
up" this sound in the outer octaves.  The EBVT with Tempered Octaves will
provide you with the cleanest, purest, most harmonious sounding piano you
have ever heard.  Try it and you will be amazed.

  Bill Bremmer RPT
  Madison, Wisconsin
  Click here: -=w w w . b i l l b r e m m e r . c o m =-