Steinway console scale

Newton Hunt nhunt@optonline.net
Fri, 18 Jan 2002 11:01:25 -0500

> but when you see the mid treble down around 130 lbs.
> and the high treble pushing 180 lbs,, something is

Indeed something is ...

A change of one gauge will change tension about 10 pounds, +/- a bit.
Where uprights run into trouble is when there is no dog leg in the
bridge between breaks.  Changing wire size in the wrong direction can
help these pianos.  Bare in mind string mass is the element.

Inh comes first, tension must take a back seat to Inh in the treble,
unless you intend to redesign the bridge.

It is most helpful to see all these factors, I, %B, T, on a graph so you
can see the trade offs and make choices and how those choices change the
other factors.

On that piano I think I would give _extreme_ thought to rescaling.  I
know that scale from having tuned a bunch of the little bastards and I
know evaluation will show that the scale really needs some help.

It is in the bass where scaling can improve the piano, rescaling the
treble only effects us tuners, not the customer so much, but rescaling
the bass can make the piano sound several, like maybe 6 or 7 inches tall
than it actually is.

This particular non piano does not reflect the best of what it can be.

		Newton