Squares & Bird-Cages part 2

Isaac OLEG SIMANOT oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Sat, 19 Jan 2002 01:09:43 +0100

Hello,

I've done my part on these old clunkers, eventually one or two will have
something to care with, but most of the time they where so much
miss-repaired by so-called piano dealers that it is not only the basic
reparation that may be done, but the correction of the precedent disasters
too (paint on
strings/tuning pins, bad glue at the wrong place, and so on.

Of course you will always find people to buy these nice pieces of furniture,
I suppose you can buy themselves for a few bucks actually, but beside the
historical question, I see no big interest in there.

In France we benefit of a lot of these English pianos, some people make big
money with them, and some children where obliged to play with it. I new a
man who was at first a butcher, then he begin a piano business with these
type of pianos (coming from England, price from $100 to $500)

I was told that the English government had made a law to do some good to the
piano factories, so they decide that all the pianos in schools and public
places may be changed with new. (May be JD can clear things on that) It was
in the 70 or a little before and that create the market originally because
of so many pianos available.
Some smart guys where driving in the country with a van and some cash in
their pocket to buy all the antics they can find. These where more or less
cleaned, gold painted (on strings too sometime) , and send to France where
others sell them. The same guys sells the grey market actually I believe.

Beside, on a good musical value bird cage , the work is not way different
from a more classical vertical. Well regulated the dampers can work if end
grain felt of good quality is used (Renner sells some).
I liked to put some in shape for people who could not afford better,
sometime the piano is OK, but it is when it comes from the family , not
these crooks.

Good luck - I prefer to work on grands or more playable pianos now.

Isaac OLEG

>From France, biggest piano makers in Europe (at the beginning of the
century)