season for buzzing/Steinway

Bigeartb@AOL.COM Bigeartb@AOL.COM
Fri, 18 Jan 2002 22:36:11 EST

Gary:
If you believe the buzz is wood to wood...check the soundboard under the
piano pressing up on the soundboard with maybe the rubber handle of a hammer
and use a feeler gauge along each rib checking for unglued ribs. Check the
hole in the soundboard for the nosebolt....make sure nothing like old finish
or any portion of soundboard touching the nosebolt. Check for microphones
attatched to the soundboard. Check the small lid prop...sometimes it will
buzz. Sometimes fall boards buzz. You have already checked on top of the
soundboard. The answer to your question about the "stobb" under the piano is
not acceptable repair practice. I removed two "stobbs" a few weeks ago placed
there by a flustrated technician. The problem was the nose bolt hole I
described above. The soundboard touched the nose bolt slightly causing the
problem. Good luck.

Tommy Black
Decatur, Alabama