Sound waves(a neat experiment)

Erwinspiano@AOL.COM Erwinspiano@AOL.COM
Sat, 19 Jan 2002 17:31:27 EST

In a message dated 1/18/2002 2:32:40 AM Pacific Standard Time,
JD@Pianomaker.co.uk writes:

>  experiment)
> Date:1/18/2002 2:32:40 AM Pacific Standard Time
> From:<A HREF="mailto:JD@Pianomaker.co.uk">JD@Pianomaker.co.uk</A>
> To:<A HREF="mailto:pianotech@ptg.org">pianotech@ptg.org</A>

  Jd writes
  You were extremely vague yesterday when I
> asked the question about Sitka spruce, and now you are talking about
> formulas and constants.  Ron Overs answered the question briefly but
> did not extend his answer to say that for the good reasons he gave,
> sound propagates faster along the grain in soundboard wood than in
> any other wood.  In Douglas Fir it might travel at only 4900 metres
> per second.

      JD-------------This may be considered just as vague as Ron Os answer
conerning sitka spruce but here is what I know. Having used many different
species of spruce I must confess that I have enjoyed the sounds od Sitka
spruce the most. The clarity and WOW what sustain and power.  Of the many
american Steinways I've heard I really like the ones from the late 60s and
70s  because of there amazing sustain qualitys. The actions were trash then
but the guys were making excellent boards.
  I  sold a stwy B from 1971 to a concert pianist. She had looked all over
the S.F. bay area for Bs and ended up with this one. She said nothing Ishe
played even came close to this one. Apparently she'd been looking for some
time. The college has some Ls from  the same era with the same sound.
      I put a sitka board in stwy A last year and the sustain in the killer
octave ( and every where) was forever. I've never heard one better.
   Please I'm not tootin my own horn but I do get exited when I hear sound
like that.
   On another subject I have heard some German O' only a couple of years old
that were to die for. Oh my oh my.  They sounded so refined and bigger than
there physical size belied.
   Are they using the same magic lumber you described earlier and are they
curing wood differently Or what  Please tell  enlighten me.

     Best ---Dale